Blaze family’s tribute to lifesaving dog

David and Kelly Williams with Ryhs and Mckenzie who want to thank residents in Gomersal for the help they received after their home caught fire. (d10011105)
David and Kelly Williams with Ryhs and Mckenzie who want to thank residents in Gomersal for the help they received after their home caught fire. (d10011105)
0
Have your say

A FAMILY who escaped their blazing home on Christmas Eve say they owe their lives to their heroic pet dog, Noodles, who died helping to rescue them.

David and Kelly Williams, who have now been released from Leeds General Infirmary where they were treated for their injuries, have spoken of the horror of that night.

LIFESAVER: Noodles, who tragically died in the fire.

LIFESAVER: Noodles, who tragically died in the fire.

They realised their house in Roberson Terrace, Gomersal, was engulfed in flames when they were woken by their smoke alarm in the early hours.

Mr Williams, 29, jumped from the bedroom window and even though he had broken three ribs and suffered a massive cut to his head, he managed to rip open the lounge window where his mum, Jackie Healey, was trying to get out, and help her climb to safety.

He then caught one of the couple’s two young sons, Mckenzie, as he was passed out of the window.

But the oldest boy, two-year-old Rhys, was asleep in the next door bedroom and as Mrs Williams tried to cross the hallway to get to him, she was overcome by thick acrid smoke.

“It was so bad that I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face,” said the 32-year-old.

“But then our dog, Noodles, grabbed hold of my nightie in her mouth and guided me into his room. She took me right to his bed, where I was able to pick him up and pass him out of the window to David.”

Sadly firefighters were unable to rescue the 18-month-old black labrador.

“We wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her,” added Mrs Williams.

“There’s no way I would have been able to get Rhys if she hadn’t helped me. I was getting so hot and feeling so light-headed because of the smoke. A a few minutes longer and we would have been dead.”

The couple, who have since moved to Lowood Lane in Birstall, were so badly injured that they were rushed to LGI Infirmary, where they spent Christmas Day in intensive care.

When their friends and family heard what had happened, they quickly rallied round to raise money and buy clothes, toiletries and Christmas presents so the family wouldn’t be without on Christmas Day. Offers of fridge freezers, washing machines and other household goods came flooding in soon after.

Mrs Williams said: “We’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by the generosity of people. They have been amazing. People at my auntie’s work, Kalon in Birstall, gave us loads of things for the kids.

“Everybody has been fantastic, especially Mandy and Neil Doyle, who put collection boxes in their fish shops in Gomersal and Cleckheaton and bought the children loads of toys.”

The family were reunited on New Year’s Eve and say they will enjoy another ‘Christmas Day’ later on in the year.

Mr Williams, 29, added: “When you think about what we lost, none of that matters because we have everything we need right here. We all could have died that night and we are just grateful that we are here to tell the story.”