TRANSPORT chiefs withdrew buses from a housing estate after yobs threw cones at buses and blocked the road.
Arriva buses reported on its Facebook site on Wednesday the 254 service would not be running through Windy Bank that night after kids blocked the road with construction barriers and threw traffic cones at buses.
The service was reinstated yesterday – but people took to Facebook to air their views.
Kate Dorelia Haigh said: “They have had to alter the route before due to similar mishaps. I wonder if they will just stop sending it through at all now. It’s the OAPs in the middle of the estate I feel sorry for as they will have to walk even further for the bus now.”
Kath Lamb said: “This isn’t the first time something like this has happened at Windy Bank. I feel sorry for the good people who live there whose lives are affected by these children.”
John Rhys-Vivian, from Windy Bank Tenants and Residents’ Association, said much had been done to improve and raise the profile of the estate in recent years: “There are good and bad areas on every estate but generally it’s very reasonable and quiet and we don’t have a lot of bother – this sort of thing doesn’t happen very often.”
Nigel Featham, managing director for Arriva Yorkshire, said: “We have reported the incident to the police and we are working with the Safer Travel partnership to ensure the continued operation of our service at Windy Bank.”