Crash mayhem on motorway

17/05/13 'Tankers collide on the M62 east bound where the M621 joins near to junction 27.' / Tom Maddick
17/05/13 'Tankers collide on the M62 east bound where the M621 joins near to junction 27.' / Tom Maddick
Have your say

Children were stuck in school and people were unable to visit a mother in hospital after last week’s M62 tanker smash.

The crash, which involved a tanker and a lorry, took place between junctions 26 and 27 – one of the drivers had to be freed by emergency services and was taken to hospital by air ambulance.

The smash caused mayhem on roads around the region, with Spenbearing the brunt of the chaos yet again.The eastbound carriageway was closed for more than two hours as emergency services attended the crash, and the Spenborough Guardian had a flood of responses from readers.

It should have been a day of celebrations for Stacey Gomersall, from Cleckheaton, as she had given birth to daughter Leah-Poppy that day

But her Friday afternoon visitors faced tailbacks of more than two hours on their way home, and she was unable to have any visitors that evening.

Stacey said: “I had my baby in Pinderfields on Thursday, my visitors left at 4pm and didn’t get back to Cleckheaton until 6.30pm. I had no evening visitors as they couldn’t get back to see me in time.

“My mother came all the way down from her home in Cumbria to see me and Leah – she had to go back north in the evening having only seen me once on Friday.

“I also have two young children aged two and six, and they were disappointed that they couldn’t see me and the new baby in the evening as well.

“Obviously hospitals can be quite lonely places, so it wasn’t nice to be in there for so long on my own.”

Mums from Spen were also unable to pick their children up from school on time, queuing for up to four hours.

Lisa Dransfield-Taylor said: “I left Leeds at 2.30pm to go pick my children up from school in Hipperholme – I got there at 6.10pm.”

Helen Coleman said: “I also left Leeds at 2.30pm to pick my little boy up from school and I was stuck on M621 for four hours.”

For more on the crash, visit