Children escape a nighttime house fire
Two children were lucky to escape unhurt after their bedroom TV caught fire.
Firefighters from Cleckheaton and Batley were called out to a blaze in Firthcliffe Grove, Liversedge, at 8.30pm last Friday.
They arrived to find toxic smoke coming out of the window, and the crew used a special fan and two hose reels to tackle the blaze.
The children, aged one and three, were rescued from the bedroom by their parents after they went to investigate a noise coming from upstairs.
Batley watch commander Adrian Bairstow said: “I would say the two children were very lucky to escape – they were rescued by their parents who did the right thing calling the fire service.
“The house only had one working smoke alarm on the ground floor. We recommend to have a smoke alarm on each floor of their house.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Cleckheaton
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 30 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west