DCSIMG

FIRE CLAIMS MAN’S LIFE

HOUSE FIRE The house in Lower Hall Close, Hightown. (d241b349)

HOUSE FIRE The house in Lower Hall Close, Hightown. (d241b349)

 

A man who was rescued from his burning house by firefighters has died.

Crews from Cleckheaton broke into the home in Lower Hall Close, Hightown, shortly before midnight last Thursday, after being alerted by the man’s neighbours.

Emergency crews tried to resuscitate the 62-year-old – who has not been named – at the scene, before he was taken to hospital, but he died on Sunday.

Police say the fire is not being treated as suspicious.

The man’s neighbours Kevin and Jean Andrews described how they were alerted to the blaze by their pet cat.

Mr Andrews said: “It jumped on the bed and woke us up, and then we smelled the smoke.

“The fumes set off our carbon monoxide monitor. We came downstairs and could see smoke coming out of the roof of the kitchen.

“Our next-door neighbour rang 999. We went and knocked on the man’s door but we didn’t know whether he was in.

“When the fire brigade arrived they broke the door down.”

Mr Andrews said firefighters brought the man out of the house and tended to him before paramedics took him to hospital. Watch commander Damian Cameron, from Cleckheaton Fire Station, said a pan had been left on the cooker which had set fire to wooden wall cladding and melted the fridge.

Crews searched the house and found the victim unconscious in an upstairs bedroom.

Mr Cameron said: “The ambulance arrived very quickly. We began resuscitation, with the ambulance and fire crews rotating. We worked for 20 minutes, and he was then taken to hospital. The crews worked well but unfortunately the man has since died.”

Mr Cameron confirmed the house did have smoke alarms and fire investigation officers were looking into whether they were working.

Firefighters have spent this week carrying out home fire safety checks in the neighbourhood, fitting free smoke alarms.

l Anyone concerned about fire safety can contact West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 5874536.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page