Heckmondwike’s free music festival, known as Heckyfest, might not go ahead this year, its organiser has warned.
Donal O’Driscoll said he may have to raise thousands in sponsorship to make up for an expected shortfall in Kirklees Council funding for this year’s festival.
The festival has been funded using community events grants from Kirklees Council. Last year it received £7,750.
But Donal said he had been told by the council, that should this year’s funding be approved, it would be in the region of £5,000 – below the £8,500 needed to help get the festival off the ground. He will not even know whether he has the funding until about a month before the festival.
He said: “I understand money is tight for the council but I was shocked to hear how late the decision will be. We have to secure essential services now.
“Kirklees have been fantastic to work with. If it wasn’t for them we wouldn’t have had a third festival, never mind the 11th one last July.”
However, he said more sponsorship money would be needed to get the festival going.
“Many of the people who go there won’t be able to afford to go to another music festival, so this is a great free event for the people of North Kirklees,” he said. “After all the hard work that’s been put into Heckyfest over the years it would be devastating to lose it now.”
The event is scheduled to go ahead on Saturday July 19. For more information on the festival, or to help with sponsorship, visit www.crownoflights.org.uk.