A new set of buildings have been added to the Dewsbury blue plaque trail.
The Dewsbury Matters History Group have added a plaque to the Fletcher Homes, almshouses given to the people of Dewsbury by the wealthy Fletcher family.
The six homes in Boothroyd Lane were opened in 1900 by local dignitaries – and more than 100 years later their part in Dewsbury’s past has been recognised.
There was originally an on-site nurses building, which is where the plaque has been placed, in addition to the six homes.
Robert Fletcher was born in 1803. In 1831 he opened a grocery business in what was then the market place. The business prospered and the family became very wealthy.
The family bequeathed £8,000 to build the homes for the poor. They were occupied by couples or single people who had reached 60 and had been ratepayers in Dewsbury for no less than 20 years.
Most of Dewsbury’s blue plaques are in the town centre but Dewsbury Matters hope to add more to other sites of interest.
A presentation about all of Dewsbury’s blue plaque buildings will take place tomorrow in the town hall at 11am. Recently rediscovered plaques from Dewsbury and District Hospital will also be on display.
John Lambe from Dewsbury Townscape Heritage Initiative, which aims to regenerate the Northgate area of Dewsbury, will also be asking for suggestions for what the Pioneer building can be used for.
There will also be free copies of the Dewsbury Heritage Walks booklet on offer at the event.