AN ELDERLY man was taken to hospital after a chip pan sparked a blaze in his home.
Firefighters from Dewsbury were called to a flat in Windsor Gardens, Shaw Cross, at around 10.30pm last night.
The fire did not spread beyond the kitchen, but the 72-year-old man was taken to Dewsbury and District Hospital with smoke inhalation.
A spokesman for Dewsbury Fire Station said: “People shouldn’t leave chip pans unattended and should always dry food before they put it in. They shouldn’t fill it more than a third full with oil.”
He added that everyone should have a working smoke alarm fitted in their home.