AN animal-lover was devastated when her beloved dog had to be put to sleep after eating food she believes was deliberately poisoned.
Joan Leak’s 11-year-old border collie, Jack, died two days after eating something off the pavement while they were out for a walk.
Mrs Leak said she was ‘totally and utterly bereft’ following the loss of Jack, who she said was a ‘one off’.
Mrs Leak said she walking Jack in Woodlands Avenue, where she lives, when he ate the meat.
She said: “There was something small and brown on the ground and he grabbed it and gobbled it. I told him off and we carried on.
“Within an hour he was being sick. I got him straight to the emergency vet in Morley and he just went downhill. His intestines shut down and he got pneumonia and we had to have him put to sleep.
“The vets said they had no idea what it was but it had to be something extremely toxic.
“I have had him a long time. He didn’t bark, chew things or get on the furniture.
“He loved sticks. He was an amazing dog and everybody loved him. I would hate for anybody else to have to go through the same thing because to see your dog die like that is heartbreaking.
“I think somebody did this on purpose but I can’t believe anybody is evil enough to do such a thing.”
She said a neighbour had warned people living in the street some meat had been thrown into her garden but she had managed to get to it before her dog ate it.
Mrs Leak said she wanted to warn other dog owners to be vigilant.
She added: “I couldn’t have stopped it but I want to prevent other animals suffering in the same way Jack did.”