An care home for elderly people has been ordered to make improvements after being rated “inadequate” in a damning inspection report.
Aston Manor, on Moorlands Road, Dewsbury, has been placed into special measures by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Inspectors said cleaning procedures were not always effective at the 32-bed home and “there were strong offensive odours within parts of the home.”
They criticised record keeping and one-to-one support for residents after a two-day CQC visit in November.
Their report said: “People reported they enjoyed the food, although we found mealtimes were not organised well and people’s weight loss was not managed effectively.
“People with diabetes did not receive sufficient support for their dietary needs.”
The home was rated inadequate in all five inspection areas of being safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led.
The report said some staff were caring in their approach to residents at the home.
But it added: “Some people did not appear well cared for. For example some people wore dirty clothes and some gentlemen had not been shaved.”
Staffing levels were also criticised a the home, which is owned by Leicester-based company Mauricare.
The report said: “We saw that staffing levels and deployment of staff at the time of our inspection did not meet people’s needs.
“For example, the communal areas were left unattended for long periods of time because staff were attending to other people in their rooms.”
Some residents spent long periods in their chairs without being attended to by staff.
The report said: “Some people appeared bored and agitated whilst others were passively awake or asleep.
“Where people could speak with us they said there was not enough to do.”
Mauricare said the home had only been under its ownership for a year.
The company said in a statement: “We see it pretty much a work in progress as we continue with our plan to rebuild and making the home a better place to live.
“We remain grateful to all our partners for support and understanding to date. As a provider we see safety and wellbeing of our residents as paramount.”