Dog left to die in squalor

Alistair Fleming leaves court in Huddersfield. Photo: Huddersfield Examiner
Alistair Fleming leaves court in Huddersfield. Photo: Huddersfield Examiner
Share this article

A man moved out of his Heckmondwike home, leaving his dog to starve to death.

The pet’s corpse was in such a state, a post-mortem was impossible a court heard this week.

The filthy house where Sasha was left to die

The filthy house where Sasha was left to die

A distressed RSPCA inspector said the case was one of the most horrendous she had ever seen. The mastiff was found in a heap, covered in her own mess and ‘would have taken a long time to die’.

Magistrates in Huddersfield said Alistair Fleming’s case was ‘an appalling example of negelct’ and banned him from keeping animals for life.

On Tuesday, Fleming, 27, admitted four counts of failing to ensure the needs of an animal were met.

Prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, Tanya Forret said inspector Rachel Oprysk from the charity went to Fleming’s house in Chapel Lane after a call about a dog being left alone and in its own excrement.

A ‘foul smell of decay’ came from the yard and the kitchen window was thick with bluebottles.

Ms Forret said: “When the inspector got in there was an overwhelming smell of decay, so intense she had to don body suit and mask. Ms Oprysk was horrified to find Sasha’s emaciated body behind the door.

“The house was filthy and full of rubbish. The dog was too decomposed for any meaningful post-mortem to be done.”

The court heard that Ms Oprysk had earlier visited Sasha in May after reports that she was thin, but found the dog to be normal and left after giving advice to Fleming.

When she next contacted him in December, he admitted he had last seen the dog when he moved out of the house in June. He said he had suffered a personal meltdown.

Ms Forret said: “He admitted he should have done more for the dog and said conditions in the house were not fit for either animals or humans.”

As well as the life ban, Fleming was also ordered to pay costs of £1,749 and made subject to a community order involving 240 hours of unpaid work.

After the case, Ms Oprysk said: “In nine years as an inspector, this was one of the most horrendous and distressing cases I have ever seen.

“The distress this poor dog must have gone through is unbearable. She was basically abandoned and left to starve to death in a dark, dirty room. I found her in an emaciated heap covered in her own mess.

“It is absolutely intolerable that she was left like this - it would have taken her a long time to die.”