Dewsbury roofer died of carbon monoxide poisoning, inquest hears

Latest news...
Latest news...

A roofer died of carbon monoxide poisoning at his home after a heavy drinking session, an inquest heard.

Jonathan Scherer had split up with his long-term partner and talked about killing himself in the weeks before his death.

Police were called to his home in Bywell Road on August 25 this year after his mother and stepfather found Mr Scherer’s body in his bedroom.

They had entered the home of the 34-year-old, who was originally from Wakefield, to find the carbon monoxide alarm sounding. There was a lawn-mower and petrol can next to his body.

Recording an open verdict today (Wednesday), coroner Mary Burke said: “Although I am satisfied that Jonathan Scherer died as a result of the fatal levels of carbon monoxide recorded in the house, I have some doubt as to whether this was behaviour which he was intending to result in his own death.

“The high levels of alcohol involved would have had a significant effect on his ability to think clearly and he may well have attempting to alert individuals.”