Faulty heater sparks Gomersal house blaze

editorial image

A faulty heater caused a house blaze in Gomersal this morning (Sunday).

The occupants of the house, at Moor Lane, managed to escape as the fire took hold of a bedroom in the property.

Fire crews from Cleckheaton and Morley were called to the house at around 11am.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said the bedroom was fully involved in the blaze, which was contained to the one room.

He added that firefighters accessed the bedroom via the house’s balcony and tackled the fire using hose reels.

Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear the property of smoke.

Firefighters warned that every house should have working smoke detectors and if not, people can contact their local fire station which will fit them.