Firefighters called out after man falls asleep with chip pan on hob

editorial image

A Cleckheaton man had a rude awakening last night (Saturday) after falling asleep with a chip pan on the hob.

Firefighters from Cleckheaton attended the flat on Butts Hill, Gomersal, at 7.06pm.

The man, aged 45, was awoken by the sound of his smoke detector going off and took the chip pan off the hob before leaving the flat.

When firefighters, who used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke in the flat, arrived they gave the man oxygen at the scene until paramedics arrived. The man inhaled smoke during the incident, but did not require hospital treatment.

Cleckheaton firefighter Nigel Godsman said: “When we arrived the man had got himself out of the property. The chip pan hadn’t actually caught fire because he had got to it in time and turned the cooker off. Another couple of minutes though and it would have properly gone.”