Firefighters tackle house fire in Birkenshaw

Latest news...
Latest news...

Firefighters were called to a blaze in Sherburn Road last night that caused significant damage to a house.

Fire crews from Cleckheaton and Batley attended the fire at a five-bedroom property at 9.40pm, which took three hours to extinguish.

A family of four escaped unharmed after a neighbour raised the alarm.

West Yorkshire Fire Service said the fire was likely caused by an electric fault in the loft, where the house did not have a smoke alarm.

Watch commander Damian Cameron said: “If there is no smoke detector in the loft a fire can burn for a considerable amount of time before it is detected.

“It is usually only when the fire burns through the joists in the floor that the alarm will be raised.

“On this occasion all four people had left the house, but unfortuantely the fire had caused significant damage.”