Homes were evacuated last night after workmen accidentally cut through a gas pipe.
Residents were told to leave their houses after gas began to leak near St Patrick’s Church at Low Lane, Birstall.
A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said the leak happened during refurbishment work at the church.
While fire crews could see where the gas was when it was lit, they faced a challenge when the flames went out and the wind blew gas in various directions, bringing the risk of an explosion.
Police were in attendance and gas engineers managed to cap the end of the pipe to stop the leak causing further problems.
Fire crews from Cleckheaton, Morley and Dewsbury were called to the scene at around 4pm and left at approximately two hours later.
Roads in the area were closed while emergency services worked at the scene.