Husband seeks answers over cancer deaths
THE husband of a woman who died from asbestos-related lung cancer is appealing for help to find out how she was exposed to the deadly material.
Pauline Lee, 66, died of mesothelioma last November, 30 years after her father Robert Stead, from Cleckheaton, died from the disease.
Pauline’s husband, Christopher, believes Robert was exposed to asbestos when he worked as a packer at the British Belting and Asbestos factory in Leeds from 1944 to 1970.
Mr Lee believes his wife could have come into contact with asbestos fibres when she was a child, playing with her dad when he came home from work.
Now he wants to find Mr Stead’s former colleagues to find out if and why he was exposed to the material, which can cause the aggressive lung cancer asbestosis.
Mr Lee said: “When Robert passed away our entire family was devastated, but we never expected that 30 years on this would all be brought back again.
“For the condition to then take his daughter, my wife, who had never so much as stepped foot in the factory, is just horrendous. I know Robert would be absolutely heartbroken to know that in his efforts to work and provide for his family, he may have passed on a lethal condition which would eventually kill his daughter.
“As mesothelioma often doesn’t take effect until decades after exposure, there was nothing he could have done to prevent it.
“We just want to get to the bottom of why he was exposed to asbestos. Our family has been torn apart because of this.”
Irwin Mitchell Solicitors is now appealing for Mr Stead’s former colleagues contact the firm.
Anyone who is able to help should contact Ian Toft at [email protected] or on 0870 1500 100.