A mother and her three-year-old daughter were forced to flee a house fire in Dewsbury last night (Monday).
It is thought the blaze at the home in Princess Street in Chickenley was started accidentally in the lounge.
Firefighters from the Dewsbury and Batley station rushed to the house at 8.20pm.
The mother and child had been upstairs when the fire broke out.
Alerted by the smoke alarm, they managed to escape – having to run past the blaze to free themselves.
Neighbours smashed the front windows of the home and used water through domestic hose pipes to try and extinguish the blaze before the two fire trucks had got there.
The mother’s hair was singed in the incident, but after checks from the ambulance crew nobody was thought to be seriously injured and were not taken to hospital.
The front room has been left totally gutted from the fire and the whole house damaged by smoke, a Dewsbury Fire Station spokesman said.
The crews used a hose reel and positive pressure ventilation to put the fire out.