Neighbour alerts man to chip pan blaze
A chip pan left unattended led to a house fire.
Fire crews from Dewsbury were called to a property on Moor End Lane, Dewsbury, at around 8.30pm on Monday.
John Iveson, crew commander at Dewsbury Fire Station, said the homeowner had left the pan unattended and fell asleep.
He said the man was woken up by a neighbour who saw the fire and both men were outside when firefighters arrived.
Mr Iveson said: “There were no smoke alarms in the property and, had it not been for the neighbour alerting the man to the fire, this situation could have been a lot worse.
“It just shows the importance of having working smoke alarms in homes.”
For a free fire safety check visit West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s website at http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/your-safety/home/home-fire-safety-checks/