Picture house and staff in roaring '20s

OUR second photograph of the Pavilion Cinema in Heckmondwike shows it in the 1920s with staff and patrons posng outside.

It was one of two picture houses in the town - the second was the Palace in Croft Street, which later became a bingo hall.

The Pavilion opened in Janury 1914 with films and variety turns and even had a grand pipe organ.

The Saturday matinees were popular with the children, but it eventually fell into decline and was closed in December 1962.