A group of soldiers going home on leave did not realise their car was on fire as they were eating a KFC at Hartshead services.
The men were travelling to Manchester and had stopped at Hartshead westbound services on the M62 at about 4pm today.
They were eating in KFC when they were told by a passer by that their Audi A4 convertible had set on fire.
Watch commander Damian Cameron, from Cleckheaton fire station, said the fire was caused by the engine overheating.
He said the fire did not spread from the engine and firefighters put it out in 10 minutes.
But he added: “With the damage to the engine I would expect it to be unsalvageable.”