West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a top ten list to keep people safe over the bonfire season this year.
1. Keep bonfires small and manageable and build them away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and bushes.
2. Never use flammable liquids such as paraffin or petrol to light the fire.
3. Keep everyone away from the fire, especially children, and keep pets indoors.
4. Avoid drinking alcohol whilst in charge of a bonfire or fireworks, particularly when supervising children.
5. In case of an emergency, keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready.
6. Make sure your fireworks conform to British Standards BS 7114, EN 14035 or EN 15947.
7. Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
8. Light the firework at arm’s length using a taper or fuse wick and stand well back - never return to a firework once it has been lit.
9. Only children over the age of five are allowed to use sparklers and even older kids should be supervised by an adult at all times.
10. Don’t allow under 18s to buy fireworks - you can be fined or imprisoned for buying or using fireworks illegally.
Visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk for more advice on fire safety.