Bendikas brace helps seal Trojans third straight win

Thornhill Trojans maintained their unbeaten start in National Conference Division Two with a 24-12 victory over Salford City Roosters.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 7:42 am
Mindaugas Bendikas scored a brace of tries to help Thornhill Trojans extend their unbeaten start in National Conference Division Two.

After the previous week’s tremendous victory at Egremont Rangers in the BARLA National Cup, it was a case of after the Lord Mayor’s Show for Thornhill with this largely uneventful win.

The Trojans remain unbeaten in the league, thanks largely due to the electrifying pace of winger Mindaugas Bendikas.

Two tries from Bendikas proved the difference between the teams.

Both tries came in the lead up to half time and proved crucial for the Trojans.

Thornhill man-of-the-match was prop forward Anthony Harris in recognition for the dogged determination he showed in challenging circumstances.

Scott Dyson also caught the eye at stand off with some telling kicks to test Salford.

Dyson also had a hand in creating tries for the Trojans.

It took the 12th minute sin binning of Salford’s Paul Morgan for holding down to enable Thornhill to score the first try.

Scott Green had made the initial break and put Bendikas away on run. Morgan was ruled to have held down Bendikas too long and was shown a yellow card.

Using their extra man advantage Thornhill pressed forward. The ball was worked along the attacking line and good handling put Anthony Harris through a gaping hole and over for a try. Andrew Bates converted.

But Thornhill quickly shot themselves in the foot and this try was cancelled out.

The ball was lost by a Thornhill player driving away from his own posts.

Bradley White picked up and raced 20 meters to go over for a try which he converted.

Bendikas scored a brilliant solo try when he picked up the ball 20 metres from his own line and left the Salford defenders clutching at thin air to score a long range try which Bates converted.

Just before half-time there was a slight altercation between Scott Green and Salford’s Mike Foster, who was shown a yellow card.

A swift pass from Dyson found Bendikas and he dived over for an unconverted try in the corner.

Early in the second half another pass from Dyson again proved to be valuable as Liam Green timed a run to perfection and was unstoppable as he powered over for a try which Bates converted.

Salford were far from finished and a kick to the corner bounced up perfectly for Andrew Muscat to score. Bradley White converted.

In the final minute Bates kicked a penalty goal to bring this largely forgettable game to a close.

Victory for Thornhill sees them as one of five teams who have won their opening three matches.