Blistering victory clinches promotion for Shaw Cross

Adam Bird
Adam Bird

Shaw Cross Sharks sealed promotion from National Conference Division Two with a convincing 44-18 success over Leigh East.

The Sharks overcame the physical Easts side with a terrific display in which they dominated from start to finish.

The outstanding Andrew Fawkes scored twice in the opening 11 minutes, both converted by Shaun Squires.

Mark Cahill crossed and Adam Holland goaled as Leigh opened their account midway through the half but Zach Johnson’s converted try gave the hosts an 18-6 lead at the break.

Rampant Shaw Cross ran in unanswered tries through Squires, Danny Flowers, Martin Woodhead and Aiden Chandler before Dean Balmer replied for the visitors.

However, upwardly mobile Sharks had the final say with Chandler’s second, improved by Squires.

Thornhill Trojans A maintained their winning start to the Pennine League Division Four season with a 34-14 victory at Emley Moor.

There was little between the teams in a tight first-half, Adam Bird’s score and Mark Hodgson’s goal giving Trojans the lead only for Jacob Lockwood to cut the deficit to two before the break.

It was a different story on the resumption and Bird’s second was countered by Richard Sharpe’s touch-down for Emley.

Man of the match James Craven put Ryan Fenton over for Trojans and Craven went over himself soon after. Hodgson converted both tries.

Lockwood bagged his second for the hosts but Trojans ended the game in style and Lee Smith and Craven registered Hodgson-improved tries.

There was more good news for Dewsbury Moor as they recorded their first win in the Championship Division.

Moor bossed the first half against King Cross Park and took a 16-0 lead into the interval thanks to tries from Rob Senior, Josh Fletcher and Dean Wallace and a couple of Adrian Moore conversions.

Park reduced the deficit to six with touch-downs from Anthony Murphy and Jack White as they threatened a fight-back

But Moor steadied themselves and Senior bagged his second of the game, goaled by Moore, to clinch the win.

Wyke travelled to Doncaster Toll Bar hoping to get their Division One campaign back on track but were defeated 48-20.

Bar went 18-0 up inside 30 minutes but Sam Redmond, Duane Platt and Stevie Richardson broke the tryline to put the game back in the balance.

The hosts responded with two scores and although Andrew Patchett crossed for the visitors, Bar scored 20 unanswered points in a blistering spell.

Patchett, Richardson and Jimmy Waine shared the man of the match honours.