Fisher set to meet Reserves in cup tie

Jamie Sands of Oakwell Motel heads goalwards against Woodman Batley Carr. Pictures: Steve Riding
Jamie Sands of Oakwell Motel heads goalwards against Woodman Batley Carr. Pictures: Steve Riding

St John Fisher Old Boys will meet their own reserve team in the Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup following a dramatic first round last Sunday.

It is believed this will be the first time that a club’s two teams will have met in the competition, when they clash in the second round on Sunday November 9.

Fisher Reserves caused a huge upset when they dumped Premier Division big guns Thornhill Lees out 5-4.

Fisher took advantage of Lees’ lack of numbers when they raced into an early 3-0 lead.

After some players arrived late, Lees took control and pulled it back to 3-3.

They were then forced to equalise again after Fisher regained the lead at 4-4.

Fisher had an unlikely match-winner as club secretary Jason Todd popped up to score their fifth goal, although they had to withstand late pressure to earn a famous win.

Fisher’s first team were also involved in a dramatic tie against Championship leaders Mirfield Town.

Rob Hiscox and Dominic Simpson scored for Fisher but Town twice levelled and no further goals followed in extra-time as the tie went to penalties.

The first nine penalties were all scored before Michael Smith saved Town’s final spot kick to send Fisher into the second round and set up a clash with the club’s two teams.

AFC Chickenley reached the second round thanks to a 6-3 victory over Battyeford.

Hanging Heaton CC progressed to the Heavy Woollen Trophy second round with a 12-2 victory over Snowdon.

The sides had drawn 3-3 in the league a few weeks ago but Heaton proved too strong as Jamie Baulk bagged a hat-trick, centre back Mark Chamberlain scored with two powerful headers, Dave Hall and Chris Appleyard bagged a brace apiece, while Mark Inwood, Jack Morris and Gavin Baulk also struck.

Birkenshaw Reserves booked a second round place, beating The Yorkshire Man 3-0 but Dewsbury Westside are out, losing 3-1 at Clifton Rangers.

Ravenswharfe suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to Town Rangers, while Clifton Rangers Reserves joined their first team in the next round, following a 6-0 win at Deighton WMC.

Heavy Woollen Challenge Cup, second round (Sunday November 9): St John Fisher reserves v St John Fisher, Taylor Street v Mllbridge WMC, Heckmondwike SC v Marsh, Woodkirk v Mount Pleasant, Hartshead v Woodman BC, Oakwell Motel v Birstall St Patricks, Overthorpe SC v Birkenshaw, Barr Street v AFC Chickenley.

Heavy Woollen Challenge Trophy, second round (Sunday October 26): Hanging Heaton CC v Navigation, Town Rangers v Birkenshaw Res, FC Liversedge v Batley Celtics, Clifton Rangers v Punch Bowl, Overthorpe SC Res v Battyeford Res, Clifton Rangers Res v St Ignatius, Six Lane Ends v Bay Horse EA, Scholes Ath v Batley Irish Nash.

Woodman Batley Carr and Oakwell Motel battled out a 2-2 draw in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League Premier Division.

The draw leaves Woodman sixth, a point above Oakwell in the early season table.

Overthorpe SC earned their second win of the season, thrashing Millbridge WMC 6-0.

Woodkirk Valley moved up to second in the Championship, three points behind Mirfield Town, thanks to a 10-4 victory over Marsh last Sunday.

Heckmondwike SC are level on nine points with Woodkirk after they won 5-0 at Taylor.

Five teams are level on nine points in the early Division One standings, just a point behind leaders Town Rangers.

Navigation moved onto nine as they picked up their third win, defeating Punch Bowl 4-2.

Battyeford Reserves are also on nine points back in sixth place after they edged out Overthorpe SC Reserves 3-2.

FC Liversedge moved top of Division Two as they won 7-2 at previous leaders Scholes Athletic, while Batley Irish Nash and Six Lane Ends fought out a 2-2 draw.