Floodlight failure denies Liversedge cup victory

Liversedge were on the brink of sending Ossett Town crashing out of the West Riding County Cup on Tuesday when a floodlight failure saw the match abandoned.

Friday, 3rd October 2014, 7:32 am

Liversedge fought back from a goal down to lead 4-1 against a Town side who fielded eight first team regulars when the match was halted after 78 minutes.

Although Liversedge officials believed the result would stand, it is understood the match could be replayed and the County FA are set to meet to decide what should happen.

Ossett took a 28th minute lead but Andy Wood headed home the equaliser and Sedge’s leading scorer then nipped in to beat the goalkeeper and put the home side 2-1 up.

Sam Bibb added a third and Eli Hey made it 4-1 before a power cut in the area caused the floodlight failure and the match was cut short prematurely.

Liversedge suffered a 3-0 defeat at Tadcaster Albion in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division last Saturday.

Sedge started well and Joel Farrell saw an early shot blocked, while Wood also had a chance to give them the lead.

A Farrell effort struck the crossbar and Liversedge were made to pay for their misses when Josh Greening got in behind the defence to put Tadcaster 1-0 up after 28 minutes.

George Blissett then doubled Albion’s lead before half-time.

Declan Dawson crossed but Wood’s shot on the hour was brilliantly saved by the Albion goalkeeper before the home side sealed victory shortly after when Callum Ward netted their third.

n Liversedge Under-19s are riding high at the top of the Northern Youth Alliance West Division with three wins from their opening four matches.

Liversedge made it three straight victories when they defeated Fields 2-0 last Thursday but suffered a first defeat of the season at Huddersfield YMCA on Monday.

Oliver Rimmington gave Sedge a 1-0 lead against Fields with a 55th minute penalty before Lawrence Dunne converted a spot kick to secure the three points.

Huddersfield YMCA played their first game on the club’s rugby union pitch on Monday when a 200-plus crowd attended.

Dunne put Sedge 1-0 up but Jay Brogan levelled before half-time and Kamali Russell bagged YMCA’s winner 10 minutes from time to inflict a first defeat on the leaders.