Damms opens the floodgates as Liversedge sink to defeat

Liversedge 0

Staveley MW 3

STAVELEY, one of the fancied teams in the Northern Counties East League Premier saved their best performance yet for their trip to Clayborn last Saturday.

There was barely a chink in the Staveley armour as they overcame a determined Liversedge with some ease.

Staveley’s dangerman Ryan Damms forced a good save out of Liversedge goalkeeper James Waggett after five minutes, after some tricky build-up play in the area.

Damms struck after 14 minutes as some mesmerising play was followed by a swift one-two in the area before he rifled home. Waggett then kept the first half score down when he saved a 22nd minute penalty from Damms after Chris Coy had been fouled.

Danny Cooper was also involved in the best Liversedge effort of the half as he fed Dave Bordman with a good pass but Alex Hallam shot wide.

The home side’s best effort after the break came on 62 minutes when Hallam linked with Darryl Leach to put substitute James Hurtley in a good position but his effort was turned away for a corner.

Staveley translated their pressure into goals in the 69th minute when that man Damms crossed to Joe Thornton to volley home.

For a big man Damms has good composure and tight skills and he used them to score the third Staveley goala shot over the head of central defender Hopkins, with seven minutes of the game remaining.

Liversedge manager Billy Miller used all his outfield substitutes to see if they could get into the match. They included James Hurtley, who came on for Danny Cooper, after 63 minutes while Joe Jagger replaced Carl Horsman after 75 minutes.

Liversedge, who remain 11th in a tight Premier Division could not pose any sustained threat to Staveley but will be seeking to improve at Brighouse Town tomorrow.

Liversedge: Waggett, Larkin, Hopkins, Leach, Cooper, Hallam, Shuttleworth, Bordman, Cartman, Horsman. Sub not used Knight.

n ON Tuesday night an 88th minute goal by Adam Hill helped Liversedge Under-19s to earn a 2-2 draw against high fliers Eccleshill.

Matty Thompson had given Liversedge the lead after 16 minutes.

Eccleshill equalised after 39 minutes and then took the lead after 85 minutes.

Liversedge never gave up though and Hill snatched a point with his late goal.