Liversedge bow out on penalties after forcing replay

Pickering Town 3

Friday, 9th September 2011, 9:00 am

Liversedge 3

(After extra time Pickering won 5-4 on pens)

LIVERSEDGE’S involvement in the FA Cup ended as they bowed out on penalties in a preliminary round replay.

After drawing 2-2 last Saturday, the sides served up another entertaining game. They were unable to be separated after extra-time in Tuesday’s replay and it was Pickering who held their nerve in the dramatic shoot-out.

As in Saturday’s first game, Liversedge battled back from a two-goal deficit to force extra-time and they could have won it as Jamie Wasley had two glorious chances.

Dave Watson put Pickering 1-0 up after 13 minutes before Tommy Adam was tripped and the referee awarded a penalty which Adam converted.

Brook Newton pulled a goal back when he turned on the edge of the area and, spotting the goalkeeper off his line, produced an exquisite lob.

Three minutes before half-time, Steve Baxter netted Pickering’s third before Liversedge had the better of the second half. James Hurtley and Joe Jagger charged down a clearance and the ball broke for Hurtley to score.

Jagger’s shot was then parried by the goalkeeper but Hurtley rifled home the rebound to make it 3-3.

Substitute Wasley had a glorious 101st minute chance when he raced one-on-one with the goalkeeper but chipped the ball into his hands.

Wasley then made another good run but shot wide as the tie went to penalties.

Dave Bordman, Jagger, Wasley and Cory Larkin drew Liversedge level each time Pickering had converted their first four penalties before Town edged 5-4 ahead. Nathan Cartman stepped up to take Liversedge’s fifth penalty but he fired over the crossbar as the Clayborners went out.

Liversedge: Waggett, Larkin, White, Hannay, Leach, Newton (Horsman 59), Cartman, Hopkins, Bordman, Hurtley (Wasley 85), Jagger. Subs: Knight, Cooper.

Liversedge 2

Pickering Town 2

A DRAMATIC finale saw Liversedge fightback from 2-0 to snatch a draw and then almost win their FA Cup preliminary round tie last Saturday.

Although Liversedge had created a number of second half chances, few people in the 130-strong crowd would have given them hope as they trailed 2-0 after 86 minutes.

Sedge were given a lifeline when Damien Hopkins rose to head home Newton’s cross and they then drew level in the 89th minute. Hannay launched a long ball, which Dave Bordman controlled before threading through to substitute Joe Jagger who rifled in the equaliser.

Liversedge almost snatched a dramatic injury time winner when Darryl Leach headed over from a good position.

Liversedge deserved to earn a replay after dominating the second half, although Pickering had the better of the first.

James Gunn headed wide early on, Tommy Adams shot over, while James Waggett twice denied Stuart Rice.

Pickering took a 35th minute lead when Dave Watson crossed for Steve Baxter to head home. James Hurtley had Liversedge’s best chance when he shot over and it remained 1-0 at the break.

In the second half Alex Hallam passed to Nathan Cartman, who found Newton but his shot was well saved.

Having introduced Cory Larkin at the break, manager Billy Miller brought on Jagger and Jamie Wasley but it was Pickering substitute Kinsley Wetherald, who was on the end of a fine move to tap home in the 74th minute to make it 2-0. However, there was late drama as Liversedge struck twice in the final four minutes.

Liversedge: Waggett, Bartram (Larkin 46), White, Hannay, Leach, Newton, Cartman, Hopkins, Bordman, Hurtley (Jagger 67), Hallam (Wasley 68). Subs (not used): Knight (gk), Cooper.