Liversedge face big battle against drop

Three goals in a crazy final seven minutes saw Liversedge fall to a 3-2 defeat at home to Armthorpe Welfare last Saturday.

Liversedge twice came from behind in a thrilling encounter at Clayborn but that still was not enough to prevent Armthorpe closing the gap in the fight for survival in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

The first half was goalless and the sides were locked at 1-1 with less than 10 minutes remaining before the dramatic finale.

Sedge’s Eli Hey hit the crossbar from a corner and Armthorpe’s Tom McLaughlin had a goal disallowed for offside as he finished Anthony Ryan’s headed ball over the top in the only highlights of the first half before the game came alive.

Armthorpe captain Steven Garner’s free-kick found the unmarked Rich Smith whose header left goalkeeper Sam Dobbs standing as the ball precisely found its way into the opposite corner of the net.

The goal sprang Liversedge into life and they were level within minutes.

A poor back header by an under pressure Armthorpe defender forced a cheap corner and Brook Newton’s pinpoint left footed cross, a real weapon in the Sedge arsenal, found its way to captain Tom Jackson who headed home from close range to equalise.

Liversedge remained on top and manager Alan Colquhoun brought on tricky winger Jameel Nawaz and midfielder Franck Zalo to help push for a winner.

The visitors were only able to name two substitutes but managed to regain the lead in the 83rd minute, albeit against the run of play.

Craig Aspinall played a ball to Ryan whose shot was only parried by Dobbs and striker Joe Lumsden tapped in the rebound for his 16th goal of the season — 12 more than any of his teammates.

Sedge’s top scorer Andrew Wood has not scored since January 3 but he played a big hand in his side’s second goal.

His right wing cross caused panic in the area and Jackson bundled home his second of the game.

Sedge appeared to have done enough to earn their first point in four games until Armthorpe’s last minute winner.

Bradley Johnston’s in swinging corner was met by giant defender Smith at the back post for his second of the game.

Anthony Ryan looked to have put the game safe but another goal disallowed, although Sedge were unable to muster another late equaliser.