Liversedge seal win in final home match

Joel Farrer was involved in all three Sedge goals
Joel Farrer was involved in all three Sedge goals

Liversedge came from behind to win their final home game of the Northern Counties East League season 3-1 against Pickering Town last Saturday.

The win means Sedge have picked up seven points from their last three games and sees them move up to 18th in the Premier Division table.

Liversedge now know that a win in their final game of the season against Athersley Recreation would see them finish in 17th place, a respectable position for a side that have spent much of the season fighting to avoid relegation.

Sedge fell behind to a stunning volley from Lewis Taylor after Ryan Cooper’s chested lay-off flew past goalkeeper Sam Dobbs into the corner of the goal.

Sedge’s top scorer Andrew Wood was gifted a chance to equalise by a mix up in the visitors defence immediately after but his effort was saved.

With around half an hour gone, Eli Hey brought down a long ball before floating a cross to Joel Farrer at the back post.

Farrer headed the ball back across goal and Pickering goalkeeper Toby Wells could only parry the ball straight to Woods who tapped home to level the scores.

Dobbs made a fine save from Billy Logan’s volley and Liversedge had two headed chances from Farrer and captain Tom Jackson but it remained 1-1 at half time.

The second half was all Liversedge. Dobbs did have to come to the rescue again after good Pickering build up gave Alex Robinson a clear chance that Dobbs sprawled across to save but after this Liversedge took control.

Tom Jackson had a host of chances to put his team ahead. He saw two left footed strikes go just over, had a header drift wide of the post and could not quite poke home from Farrer’s cross at the back post.

Liversedge also had a huge penalty appeal turned down, as Jack McMurrough’s strike appeared to be handled by a Pickering defender, however referee Matthew Pope waved away the appeals.

This did not stop Liversedge’s dominance and around 10 minutes from time they deservedly gained the lead.

McMurrough’s corner came all the way to Hey on the opposite wing, whose cross was met by Tom Jackson at the back post to head the ball down across the goal where Farrer was there to meet it and put Sedge ahead.

Within minutes the lead was doubled. Farrer, who was directly involved in all three goals, turned provider again as his cross was glanced in by Wood for his 15th goal of the campaign.

Pickering did have a late opportunity for a consolation but Cooper could only chip the ball wide when clean through.

The result sees a successful end to Sedge’s season at Clayborn. They travel to Athersley Recreation on Saturday, hoping to end the year on a high.

Liversedge: Dobbs, Haley (Andre 86mins), Newton (Sunley 78mins), T Jackson, S Jackson, O’Gara, McMurrough (Durkin 84mins), Rothera, Wood, Farrer, Hey.