Liversedge show great improvement

Warrick Charlton scores Liversedge's second goal
Warrick Charlton scores Liversedge's second goal

Liversedge are continuing to show a vast improvement and picked up points from two cracking performances in the NCE League Premier Division.

Sedge recorded an impressive 3-1 victory at home to Barton Town Old Boys last Saturday and followed that up by holding high flying Garforth Town to a 2-2 draw in an entertaining game on Tuesday night.

Wes Milnes — who played for Liversedge during the Eugene Lacy era — has returned to the club and given stability to the defence.

Sedge took a 20th minute lead against Barton on Saturday when Brad Riley produced a neat lay off for Gibril Bojang to cross and Joe Hitch headed home at the far post.

Chris Funnell produced an excellent run and finish to draw Barton level but Sedge should have regained the lead before half-time when Warrick Charlton dragged wide.

Charlton just failed to convert an excellent cross by Bojang early in the second half but when Riley put Charlton through on goal after 75 minutes the striker made no mistake, rounding the goalkeeper and slotting home.

Substitute Ben Greck-Brooksbank had a hand in the match-clinching goal as he found Bojang, who in turn set up Riley to tap home and seal the 3-1 win.

Goalkeeper Jamie Abbott was the star on Tuesday as he produced a string of quality saves to keep Liversedge in the game.

The feeling among home supporters was that Garforth could easily have been out of sight after dominating the opening stages.

Garforth created a host of chances in the first 20 minutes but Abbott made six superb saves to keep the score level.

Bojang produced a superb left foot strike that flew into the top corner and put Sedge ahead after 31 minutes.‌

Abbott’s only glitch of the game saw him fumble and allow Steve Simpson to pounce and level.

Abbott continued to make superb saves and blocks after the break but was unable to prevent American Logan McDaniel putting Garforth ahead with a 64th minute chip.

A minute from full-time a James Riordan free-kick took a deflection and flew into the net as Sedge grabbed a point.