Liversedge winning run ended as Bridlington strike two late blows

Liversedge's Joe Walton has a header cleared off the goalline by Bridlington defender Chris Jenkinson. Picture: Paul Butterfield
Liversedge's Joe Walton has a header cleared off the goalline by Bridlington defender Chris Jenkinson. Picture: Paul Butterfield

Liversedge’s 11-match unbeaten run in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division came to an end on Tuesday night as Bridlington Town struck two late blows.

A bumper crowd of over 600 packed into Clayborn to watch a Liversedge side who had netted 18 goals in their last three league games.

However, Sedge were unable to capture that form as they came up against a well organised Bridlington side.

New Brid boss Curtis Woodhouse — the former Sheffield United and Birmingham City professional — had his side well organised at the back as they frustrated Sedge for long periods.

In a scrappy opening, Joel Sutton’s mis-hit cross was inches over the crossbar, while Jamie Forrester’s tame 30-yard effort was comfortably dealt with by Liversedge goalkeeper Christian Thewliss.

Liversedge came more into the game as the first half wore on and had strong appeals for a penalty turned down.

Steve Wales beat his man on the left wing and cut inside before laying the ball off to Harrison Blakey.

He shimmied a defender but appeared to have his leg taken away from him in the act of shooting although loud appeals were waved away by the referee.

In first half injury time, Sedge forced successive corners and from the second, Joe Walton rose at the back post and produced a powerful downward header which Chris Jenkinson managed to clear off the line.

Liversedge upped the tempo at the start of the second half and the introduction of Rhys Davis and Brandon Kane gave them new impetus.

Kane had a shot well saved by James Hitchcock following neat work by Walton wide on the left, while Walton rose but headed wide after another lovely passing move.

The breakthrough came after 75 minutes when Davis beat a man on the right wing and sent over a dangerous cross.

Jenkinson stretched out his foot and deflected the ball past Hitchcock to spark wild celebrations among the large home support.

Liversedge’s lead lasted just two minutes as Bridlington produced a lovely move downfield and Jamie Forrester produced an exquisite finish on the volley.

Liversedge were stunned for a time but attempted to battle back.

When an attack broke down, Bridlington countered quickly and Sutton was played through and drilled low and hard past Thewliss to put Town 2-1 up.

Sedge threw men forward and in a frantic finale, Max Elliott got on the end of a deep cross but was unable to guide the header past Hitchcock and it proved the final action as the home side’s unbeaten run came to an end and Woodhouse delivered the knock-out blow.

n Liversedge had continued their impressive run with a 6-0 victory over Garforth Town last Saturday.

Joe Walton gave Sedge a 1-0 half-time lead and added two more after the break to complete his hat-trick, with Stephen Wales, Stephen Wales and Jansiah Donaldson also netting to complete another emphatic victory for the leaders.