Mirfield Stags clinch Championship crown to land first trophy

Mirfield Stags last night clinched the Pennine League Championship title last Wednesday, defeating Queensbury 18-2 in a winner-takes-all match.

Thursday, 28th April 2016, 5:35 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 1:38 pm
Mirfield Stags celebrate winning the Pennine League Championship title after Wednesdays win over Queensbury. Picture Robbie Purvis.

It was the Stags first piece of silverware since being formed less than 18 months ago and almost 400 people turned out to enjoy their success.

With the league title on the line, nerves were running high and following a cagey opening period, it was visitors Queensbury who lead 2-0 at the break.

The Stags made a bright start and repeatedly peppered the Queensbury line but were unable to break the deadlock, following a closely-contested opening quarter.

Queensbury then enjoyed a purple patch of their own, and Scott Swann struck a penalty firmly between the uprights.

Tom Coates, Braden Hunter and Wayne Jowett went close to posting first-half responses for the Stags.

But, it was Queensbury who held an untouched advantage as the referee brought an end to the first half.

Early in the second half, Mirfield were gifted a penalty of their own which Ross Hayden made the most of to level the scores.

The Stags then looked to breach the Queensbury line for the first time.

After, 15 minutes of hard endeavour, Silverwood’s Stags were rewarded when hooker Nathan Hadfield barged over from close range.

Within five minutes of Hadfield’s score, Mirfield had gained total control of the season-ending tie – and had one hand on the trophy – as Josh Plunkett touched down.

Full-back Hayden added conversions to both tries, handing the Stags a 14-2 lead with less than nine minutes remaining.

In fitting fashion, it fell to Stags captain Reece Spurr to put the result beyond any doubt.

The centre, who has enjoyed a campaign to remember, took a neat pass and raced away to score a fantastic try.

Hayden was unable to convert but Mirfield were crowned Pennine League champions at the first attempt.