Lower league cup rivals too strong

Dewsbury Moor  'v' Nevison Leap.'Rugby League, Yorkshire Cup quarter finals.'d313e247
Dewsbury Moor 'v' Nevison Leap.'Rugby League, Yorkshire Cup quarter finals.'d313e247

Dewsbury Moor6

Nevison Leap18

DEWSBURY Moor crashed out of the Yorkshire Cup at the hands of a strong, robust Nevison Leap outfit.

Nevison may play a division below Moor in the Pennine League but they won the Yorkshire League title last season and proved to be too strong for the Dewsbury outfit in a feisty quarter-final tie.

Moor had their chances but a combination of knock-ons and some terrific Nevison defending kept them at bay for long periods and they had to wait until the 77th minute to score a consolation try, by which time, Nevison were well on their way to booking a place in the semi-finals.

Moor started the better, as loose forward Anthony Boardman and hooker Dane Arundel got them moving forward but they had to wait until the 14th minute to break the deadlock when Andrew Robinson hammered over a penalty.

Nevison introduced Clifton Richardson and Daniel Gilbert from the bench and they played a huge part in helping the visitors to take control.

Nevison lost Gareth Dyas to the sin-bin but it was while down to 12 men that they hit back to take the lead as loose forward Scott Wilson sold a dummy and skipped through to score at the side of the posts. Kyle Bailey’s conversion rattled the right post and bounced out.

Moor responded well and a penalty put them on attack, Arundel produced a lovely pass to Boardman but as he tried to move play left, the ball was knocked on and the chance went begging.

Nevison launched a counter attack as Daniel Richardson ran hard at the defence before slipping the pass out to Dyas.

Richardson was on hand to collect the return pass before looping the ball back inside for Gilbert to score a cracking try. Despite uncertainty from the neutral touchjudges, Daniel Richardson’s conversion was judged to have gone over and Moor’s hopes were further hampered when James Eatherley was sin-binned for disputing the goal.

Nevison struck another decisive blow just two minutes into the second half as Daniel Richardson drove the ball to within five yards of the try line and Gilbert stormed onto the pass to barge over for an unconverted try.

Nevison’s big pack were now dominating and they set up another good field position before hooker Steve Lowrie produced a deft grubber kick to the left corner and winger Josh Beecher won the race to touch down.

Beecher celebrated by running across the pitch and diving into a huge puddle in front of the dug out.

Moor attempted to hit back and Andrew Robinson drove the ball in before Arundel tried to feed James Samme but he knocked on close to the line.

Dyas had a cracking game but he spent a second spell in the sin-bin for dissent, although Moor were again unable to capitalise on the numerical advantage.

Dyas almost scored immediately after returning but he knocked on when stretching for the line.

Moor then threatened to produce a late fightback and from their best move Samme, Arundel and Ryan Johnson linked and looked to have put substitute winger Jack Clarkson in at the corner but he was brilliantly tackled into touch by Wilson.

Moor did manage to score a late consolation try when Boardman broke from inside his own half and sent Johnson racing in at the right corner but it wasn’t enough to prevent Nevison booking their place in the semi-finals.

Dewsbury Moor: Johnson; Hayward, Eatherley, Shotton, T Richardson; Samme, P Robinson; A Robinson, Arundel, Hardaker, Shaw, Simpson, Boardman. Subs (all used): J Delaney, Burton, Scanlon, Ckarkson.

Nevison Leap: Milton; Beecher, Dunwell, Strawson, Gundill; Godder, bailey; D Richardson, Lawrie, Thomas, Dyas, Law, Wilson. Subs (all used): Clough, Bennett, C Richardson, Gilbert.

Referee: Phil Hick (Calderdale).


Sharlston Rovers A18

FULL-BACK Ben Nabzony put in a man of the match performance as Birkenshaw out-gunned Pennine League rivals Sharlston.

The no1 bagged a couple of tries while centre Marc Nichols, winger Karl Robinson, stand-off Ross Gratton, loose-forward Gavin Mezals and centre Alan Binns also got on the try-scoring sheet.

Scrum-half Matty Gowland kept the points ticking over nicely with six conversions.