Scorching Bird try proves in vain as Trojans defeated

Thornhill Trojans slipped to a 34-18 defeat in their top of the table clash at Hunslet Club Parkside in National Conference Division Two.

Friday, 29th April 2016, 9:11 am
Adam Bird races over for a terrific interception try during Thornhill Trojans defeat in their top of the table showdown against Hunslet Parkside last Saturday. Picture: Paul Butterfield.

Thornhill started the day in second place and produced a solid display but wetre unable to prevent Hunslet stretching their unbeaten run.

Thornhill were off the mark inside 50 seconds when aHunslet player fumbled the ball from the kick off and the visitors capitalised on the opportunity from the resulting scrum.

The ball was worked to Trojans man-of-the-match Josh Clough, who powered over from close range and Sam Ratcliffe converted the try.

The lead was short lived as within five minutes Jamie Field forced his way over for a try which he goaled to level.

Thornhill were under pressure for a prolonged period, but held out well until conceding a penalty and Andy Hullock took the two points.

Hunslet ran the ball on the last tackle for Michael Waite to touch down. Field’s conversion attempt struck the post.

With half-time looming Thornhill were again under pressure on their own line when Adam Bird made a brilliant interception and set off on a scorching run, outstripping the Hunslet pursuers to score between the posts, Sam Ratcliffe adding the extras to level the scores and set up a tasty second half.

Two tries from Omar Alrawi in the first 10 minutes of the second half, one of which was converted by Fields, put Hunslet in the driving seat.

Fate was not withThornhill as Scott Dyson and Mindaugas Bendikas were each judged to have dropped the ball when over the try line as the visitors had twice opened up the Hunslet defence.

Hunslet went further ahead on the hour with a Field penalty.

As the game moved into the final 15 minutes, the ball was worked along the line for Jamie Bradley to score. Field again striking the post with his conversion attempt, but Hunslet were in control, leading 28-12.

Thornhill were not finished as they moved the ball about well and a short pass from George Stott set Mindaugas Bendikas on a jinking run to beat two defenders and score Thornhill’s final try of the game, converted by George Woodcock.

The last word was with the home team as Luke O’Malley went in from close range to touch down and Field converted to seal Parkside’s sixth win of the season.