Sharks seal first league win of season

Robbie Byatt was among the Shaw Cross Sharks scorers in their National Conference victory over Wigan St Judes.
Robbie Byatt was among the Shaw Cross Sharks scorers in their National Conference victory over Wigan St Judes.

Shaw Cross Sharks picked up their first win in National Conference Division One, with a 34-0 rout of Wigan St Judes last Saturday.

The Sharks forced Wigan on to the back foot from the start and they deservedly took a 15th minute lead when Curtis Sidebottom showed a quick turn on pace to storm over, with Danny Flowers converting.

Greg Wilby ran from inside his own half to set up a sweeping crossfield move which ended with Jack Gledhill scoring at the corner, with Flowers adding the goal.

Jordan Anderson then scored the first of his two tries after 33 minutes, rising highest to gather a kick and plant the ball down.

Flowers kicked his third goal and the Sharks led 18-0.

Wigan tried to muster a response and Nathan Bevan sold a dummy before barging his way to set up a good position but poor passing cost saw the chance go begging.

Just before half-time, the Sharks had more joy down the left, allowing Robbie Byatt to score.

The Sharks led 22-0 at half-time as Ryan Penleton and Greg Abbot struggled to handle the pace of Ross Roebuck and Gledhill.

Ryan Ainscough was shown a yellow card for a head high tackle on Gledhill at the start of the second half.

Moments later Andrew Fawkes barged his way over the line and Flowers again converted.

Anderson soon scored his second try of the game when he collected a pass from Martyn Holland before waltzing his way to the try line with no Wigan defender in sight.

Flowers landed his fifth goal and the Sharks led 34-0 with 10 minutes remaining.

The only dampener on the Sharks’ party came when John Rourke was sent to the sin bin after aiming a punch at a Wigan player.

Wigan were unable to make the extra man count as they consistently made basic errors and the Sharks defence kept their line in tact.

Nathan Jones dropped a routine pass only for him to kick it away in frustration.

The officials did not stop the game and Sam Ottewell scooped the ball up and raced towards the try line only to be stopped just a metre short.

Further indiscipline saw Olly Oludele becoming the second St Judes player sin binned.

Shaw Cross go in search of back-to-back victories on Saturday when they travel to a Saddleworth side who have lost opening two fixtures.