Super Fisher power to cup final triumph

St John Fisher 8

Thornhill Lees 2

By Ben Morgan

ST JOHN Fisher turned in a super show to lift the Heavy Woollen FA Brook Butler Cup against Thornhill Lees.

Fisher’s win featured two hat-tricks and a bevy of wasted chances at Littletown FC’s Beck Lane ground in Sunday’s final.

Anthony Doran struck after two minutes with a powerful close range volley, from Robert Hiscox’s cross, that beat the goalkeeper at the near post.

Ten minutes later, Dom Riordan added a second for Fisher after breaking clear of the defence and firing past goalkeeper Dale Smith.

Fisher could have been even further ahead five minutes later, after a clumsy challenge in the area led to Hiscox being felled. Rob Bordman stepped up and fired the ball to the goalkeeper’s left but he made a fine save.

Bordman made amends just before half-time after the ball was stolen in midfield by right-back Andy Riordan, who started a move involving captain Irfane Khan teeing up Bordman to score with a fine strike into the top corner.

When Thornhill did threaten, it was usually through their big striker Scott Hargreaves, who used his strength to good effect – despite picking up a first half booking for his troubles.

The second half continued much like the first, with Fisher looking to trouble the Thornhill back four. Only careless finishing scuppered their solid build-up play.

Hiscox added a fourth before two quick strikes from Rob Bordman sealed his hat-trick.

Thornhill managed to pull one back through Mark Griffiths who was set up well by Hargreaves, after the pair beat Fisher’s offside trap, for a tap in on 68 minutes.

It was too little, too late for Thornhill, as Doran popped up to score his second, and Fisher’s seventh, with 20 minutes to go. Doran completed his hat-trick in the 86th minute with a simple strike to the goalkeeper’s right.

Thornhill’s Hargreaves pulled another goal back with a fierce shot from near the halfway line, which sailed over the head of goalkeeper Michael Smith before Fisher’s player-manager Paul Riordan missed the chance to add another with the last kick of the game.