West End win turns up the heat on Littletown

LITTLETOWN missed the chance to regain top spot in the Heavy Woollen Sunday League Premier Division title race as they lost 6-5 at West End.

Saturday, 28th April 2012, 8:24 am

Garrett Stead scored a brace for West End, who also had strikes from Gibril Bojang, Joel Clegg, Andy Pounder and Liam Gowan. Lee McKeown (two), Jordan Maltas, Ricky Newman and an own goal made up Littletown’s tally.

Defeat leaves Littletown second, a point behind Fisher who have two games to play. Fisher can clinch the title if they avoid defeat when they host Littletown on Sunday May 13.

Thornhill Lees are third after goals from Tristan Cost, Jason Milner and Scott Hargreaves saw them draw 3-3 at home to Towngate, who replied with a Danny Facey hat-trick.

Des Macorison and Lee Ryan both scored twice in Thirsty Man’s 5-4 win over bottom side Battyeford. Lamin Bojang, Barry Mitchell, Stanford Bube and Tim Bruce replied for Battyeford who are now relegated.

Thirsty Man’s victory saw them climb to fourth-bottom, three points ahead of Tingley WMC who slip to second-bottom of the table, a point adrift of Navigation.

Woodman Batley Carr will finish as runners-up in the Championship after a 3-1 win at third-bottom Scholes Athletic (Adam Cheshire).

Hartshead climbed to fifth after Sean Addy and Martin Ellis scored twice each in a 6-1 success at Howden Clough.

Steve Young and James Haigh’s long-range chip completing the tally while Steve Brooke hit Clough’s consolation.

Gomersal are two points off Division One leaders FC Pack Horse and have a game in hand after their 7-0 triumph at Birkenshaw Reserves.

Kieran Armitage led the way with a hat-trick, while Andy Kaye, Matthew Blackburn, Jonathan Wilson and Craig Field also found the net

Third-bottom Hightown enjoyed a 4-1 win over Overthorpe Town thanks to Adam Smith (two), Paul Fryer and a 45-yard own goal from Duncan Legood. Gareth Marshall hit Overthorpe’s consolation.

Ashley Latto and Paul Bunker each scored twice as Bay Horse East Ardsley earned their first point of the season in a 6-6 draw at Taylor.

Matthew Connor and Matthew Bestington hit the others with fifth-placed Taylor replying through Ahmed Bodiyat (hat-trick), Imran Farooq, Adam Loonat and Yusuf Akudi.

Dewsbury Rangers’ game at St Ignatius was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In Division Two, Barr Street missed the chance to clinch the runners-up spot after losing 2-1 at home to Ravenswharfe.

Steve Smith and Rob Stenhouse netted for Ravenswharfe while the hosts’ reply was an own goal.

Batley Irish Nash lie fourth after winning 4-1 against Rising Sun.

Joe Lyttle led the way with a brace, with Kyle Halloran and Andy Smith also on target. Bradley Maud replied for Rising Sun. Second-placed Barr Street are only a point ahead of Nash, and the two meet in their final league games on May 13 at Barr Street.

New date for Secker final

THE Heavy Woollen District FA Under-13 Secker Cup final was postponed last night (Thursday) due to a waterlogged pitch.

Dewsbury Rangers will now face Ossett Town on Wednesday May 9, kick-off 7.30pm at Ossett Albion FC.

This Thursday (May 3) Littletown meet Wyke Wanderers in the Wheatley Cup final at Ossett Town FC (7.30pm).

The first Brook Butler Cup semi-final is on Sunday as Thornhill Lees face Thirsty Man at Littletown FC’s Beck Lane ground (11am).